Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Made it Through the Tornadoes

Last night was one of the worst tornado nights we've had in years. Something about the darkness makes any tornado night much more frightening than the same weather during the day, though. I waited up for quite a while to see what was going to happen, but ended up going to bed figuring that if one got close the sirens would wake me up. They certainly did. There were two tornadoes in town and a few others in the surrounding counties by about 3:30 a.m. The worst point was when the local news zeroed in it's street map on the "danger zone." My subdivision was on it.

One of the tornadoes ended up passing about a mile from us at one point. At the time it was closest, that eerie calm descended. If you've ever had a tornado close by, you may know what I'm talking about. As long as the rain is coming down, the tornado is usually not that close. But, as soon as the rain stops and it looks like nature is trying to lure you outside with false promises, you're screwed. We had a few minutes of the calm when the tornado was passing by, but the rain soon started back and I was able to keep from vomiting. This morning I saw that 52 people are dead now from these storms. And that's all I have to say about that.

1 comment:

Jen said...

I saw your message on the WAHM post that discussed the weather. I am glad to hear that you and your family are safe.