Saturday, April 26, 2008

Virtual Book Tours

I was contacted the other day by an agent who represents a popular Irish author and asked whether I would be interested in hosting him here on Ye Olde Blogge for a virtual book tour. A what? Book tours have gone virtual? Indeed they have, as I soon found out.

Digging around the Web I found out that the virtual book tour is the current hot thing in book marketing. Who knew? I certainly didn't, as no one wants to publish my books- especially since most of them aren't yet finished. The virtual book tour is pretty much what it sounds like. The author "travels" around to different sites and gives interviews and/or writes guest blog posts over a set period of time. It's a great concept, really. The expense of traveling around the country, or to multiple countries, has to be prohibitive for most authors and publishing houses. The big guys might get the old fashioned paid promotional trip, but the little guy can forget it. The virtual tour levels the field just a little.

Of course, I don't know how much my blog would really help. I'm not exactly on the big-time blog map. I'm not exactly this guy, this guy, or, God forbid, these people. I would be happy to be a pit stop along a tour, though. A chance to pick a popular author's brain is a priceless experience, even if my own books sit in notebooks and Word files forever and ever until the word is colonized by Reptilians.

No comments: